This month’s Daring Cook’s challenge hit right before I went on holiday and, although I’d originally intended to do more than one type of pâté, I ended up not having the time. There was also a problem with getting some of the ingredients (notably trout for the fish version and pork belly for the meat ones, oddly).
Our hostesses this month, Evelyne of Cheap Ethnic Eatz, and Valerie of a The Chocolate Bunny, chose delicious pate with freshly baked bread as their June Daring Cook’s challenge! They’ve provided us with 4 different pate recipes to choose from and are allowing us to go wild with our homemade bread choice.
Given the problems with ingredients, I decided to go with the vegetarian recipe, half it, and make a few small single terrines rather than one large log – allowing me to freeze some for later. The recipe and instructions for it and the other pâtés can be found here. It was really pretty tasty, though I did add some black pepper to the red pepper layer and some extra garlic in the bean layer. I think, if I was making it again, I’d try it with chickpeas instead of cannellini beans – though they might have trouble staying stiff enough to hold together. the overall taste was rather like red-pepper hummus – something I love, so no complaints here.
The baguettes, really, gave me more of a problem than the terrine itself. It took me three tries to get something which approximated a baguette, but I was glad for the experience – it’s really shown me how much the time given to bread for rising affects the outcome of the final bread. The first baguettes I didn’t even bother to take a picture of – they were odd, tough but apparently tasted ‘ok’ since Andy scoffed them for lunch the next day. The second set, I used a faster recipe, with less rising time and they simply tasted like dense bread moulded into a baguette shape – I also overcooked them a little, which didn’t help. Not tasty at all. The third lot I used the long-rise recipe again, formed them gently and used a longitudinal slit rather than slashes and didn’t let them have a very long ‘rest’ before putting them in the oven.
I experimented with toppings – plain, with cornmeal, and egg. They all had a very different taste to them, though I think both mine and Andy’s favourite was the cornmeal topped one.